Marketing project brief
Growth is a high class problem to have but nonetheless there are still problems to address. Red Hat needed to standardize prioritization and the process surrounding new marketing projects. I led a team to do just that.
We interviewed teammates to better understand what was and what was not working. We reviewed various teams' existing project processes and briefs. We researched best practices. Then, we took the best of the best to create an output that would work best for our needs and culture, identified the best way to integrate it into our day-to-day process, and created tools to educate the larger organization.
UNDERSTAND > DEFINE > IDEATE > PROTOTYPE > BUILD > INTEGRATE > SOCIALIZE
Transitioning from a one-product company to a multi-product company means re-thinking a lot of your processes. This includes the processes that surround campaigns and messaging — unity is especially important since Red Hat's brand strategy is centered around being a branded house. The problem the team set out to solve: how do we more effectively tell a cohesive and robust story in market?
Centered around the Design Thinking process and the open source way, we worked with campaign owners around the company to create a campaign framework for messaging and visual language that helped simplify and amplify the Red Hat voice in market.
Created in collaboration, as the Creative Strategy and project lead, with Jessica Cox, Colleen Shelly, Chelsea Devorak, and Ryan Dean, Design leads; Wes Leonard, Laura Walters, Brett Abramsky, Video leads; Bascha Harris, Matt Morain, Arrie Brown, Content leads; Leigh Day, Project sponsor
Understand > Define > Ideate > Prototype > Build > Integrate > Socialize
Design project workflow
One measure of success is growth in demand. In 2008, the small in-house design team was completing a high volume number of projects per month. A majority of those projects were small in scope and didn't necessarily need a lot of strategic thought. Over time we noticed: (1) the small, often urgent projects served as constant distractions and sometimes would jeopardize the larger, more strategic projects (2) to the requestor, it took too long to get production-like projects done.
I partnered on efforts to re-structure the design team and project workflow. The goal was to streamline the quick-turn design projects so: (1) designers on the most strategic projects could focus and (2) requestor received a more reasonable turnaround on those quicker, production-like projects.
The result: we created two workflows. There was a team that would focus on quick-turn projects while the other design team members would mainly focus on the longer-term, original creative projects.
Created in collaboration, as the project manager, with Josh Gajownik, Design Team Lead; Jeff Mackanic, Project sponsor